Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Writing Letters in Homemade Sand

Another new activity today! (Working on adding activities to Carlee's school shelves.) A friend of mine had told me of an activity where the child practices writing her alphabet in shallow pan with rice, or corn meal, or another substance. I chose to make homemade sand since I wanted to try a recipe that another friend and homeschooler recently shared with me. It works really well for this exercise! (I tried the rice first, but the kind I had didn't stay so that you could see the letter that you wrote, so that's why I chose the sand.) Carlee is really enjoying this activity.

Homemade Sand Recipe:
4 cups dry coffee grounds
2 cups corn meal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt

Mix, sift, pour, measure, and feel!

1 comment:

Tony's Mom said...

I have to say you never cease to amaze me...you guys are brilliant! Keep up the good work! Oh, there is a magazine for educators that has some excellent ideas for engaging the kids with some fun activities. i just can't remember the name right now...but I will get it for you if you like. Great Job Sheena!