Thursday, February 26, 2009

Germs

This morning, C woke up with a sore throat, cough, and fever. This child, however, is never completely taken out by any sickness (as of yet anyway!) I've pretty much had to force her to lay on the couch under a blanket with a cool cloth on her head. We've read, colored, drank lots of juice and water, and are finally watching Finding Nemo.

While in the mood to read, I asked her if she wanted to learn about germs that make you sick. Of course she said yes. So, we read The Magic School Bus Fights Germs for the first time. It really clicked for her, since she's sick. She learned about red and white blood cells, and how the white blood cells are the ones that fight off the germs. She learned that fever helps the white blood cells work better. (I didn't even know that!) I'm so glad that the author included a page about how washing your hands numerous times helps keep germs away, and another that talked about how rest helps you get well. I think that may have convinced her to stay put. =)

Hopefully, she'll fight off this bug soon, and we can get back to learning! oh wait... we never stopped. =D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that something... Leave it up to a sick day to be a fantastic health "school lesson" right?
I'm glad that the opportunity presented itself. I suppose if we (parents/educators) really looked more, we'd find that many chances for teaching a lesson are present, we simple over look them. I'm glad that she's had a great day at "school" even if she did have a fever, spent the day curled up with momma and lil' sis on the couch and wanted to run outside with the wind... She learned, you taught... Another victory won.

mira said...

I think you're doing a great job with educating C, did I ever mention that?

oh, and odd place to put it, but I just found the recipe for chai powder:

1 c powdered creamer
1 c french vanilla powdered creamer
2 1/2 c sugar (or equivalent substitute)
1 1/2 c unsweetened instant tea
2 t ground ginger
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
1 t nutmeg
1 t allspice
1/2 t ground cardamom (I have plenty if you need it)
pinch of white pepper

combine. If you have a blender or food processer, this is super easy.

to serve: 2 heaping tablespoons in a cup of hot "milk".

enjoy :)