Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Letter Box Activity

We're starting phonics, since C already knows most of the letters' sounds. We're reviewing them as we're {semi} doing the Letter of the Week Prep Curriculum.

For this activity, I made 3x4 cards out of cardstock, and used Glitter Glue pens to write the lower case letters. This way it had a nice texture for her to trace with her finger. I put an object in the box for each letter.

First, I had her take the cards and lay them on the table in any order. Then I told her I was going to point to letters and she had to say the letter's sound. So, I went out of order, this way and that, between a and e. She enjoys this exercise because it's fun for her to try to see how fast she can remember each letter's sound and say it. It's also helping her to recognize the letters' sounds faster.

After we do that for a few rounds, I then have her take each item out of the box, one at a time, and place it on the letter it starts with. Then she has to say the name of the object and what it starts with. For example, "Bottle. Bottle starts with buh."

In this box, the objects I had were an apple, a bottle, a cup, a dinosaur, and an egg.


No comments: